A Business Management System (BMS) is a set of tools and processes that help you plan, execute, and monitor your business strategies and activities. A BMS can help you improve your efficiency, quality, and customer satisfaction, as well as comply with various standards and regulations. However, implementing a BMS is not enough to achieve these benefits. You also need to ensure that your employees adopt and use the BMS effectively. Here are some tips on how to ruin adoption of a BMS in your organisation:
- Impose the BMS without any communication or consultation. The best way to make your employees hate the BMS is to impose it on them without any communication or consultation. You can surprise them with a sudden and drastic change in their work processes and systems. You can also avoid explaining the rationale and benefits of the BMS. You can also ignore their feedback and concerns. This will create confusion, resistance, and resentment among your employees.
- Provide insufficient or irrelevant training and support. A BMS may require your employees to learn new skills and adopt new ways of working. You can provide them with insufficient or irrelevant training and support to make them struggle and fail with the BMS. You can use outdated or generic materials and methods that do not match the BMS or the user needs. You can also provide no or limited support and guidance to your employees. This will increase the learning curve, decrease user confidence, and maximize errors and frustration.
- Ignore or discourage your champions. Some employees may be more enthusiastic and proficient in using the BMS than others. You can ignore or discourage these champions to undermine the adoption of the BMS in your organization. You can avoid asking them to share their best practices, tips, and success stories with their peers. You can also withhold or reduce their rewards and recognition for their efforts and achievements. This will demotivate and isolate your champions and prevent them from influencing and supporting their colleagues.
- Neglect or manipulate the adoption of the BMS. You need to track and evaluate the adoption of the BMS in your organization to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your implementation. You can neglect or manipulate the adoption of the BMS to sabotage your success. You can use no or wrong metrics and indicators, such as vanity metrics, subjective feedback, or biased satisfaction, to measure the adoption of the BMS. You can also ignore or distort the data and insights to worsen your BMS and your adoption strategy.
- Abandon or disrupt the adoption of the BMS. Adopting a BMS is not a one-time event, but a continuous process. You need to reinforce and sustain the adoption of the BMS in your organization by providing ongoing communication, training, support, and feedback to your employees. You can stop or reduce your communication, training, support, and feedback to your employees. You can also reject or sabotage any improvement and innovation initiatives by your employees.
Adopting a BMS can help you achieve your business goals and objectives, but it requires a strategic and systematic approach. By following these tips, you can ruin the adoption of a BMS in your organization and minimize its value and benefits.
If however you are not in the business of sabotage or self defeatism, you can just do the opposite and make everyone’s life a lot simpler!
If you would like a more pragmatic and useful conversation around Business Management Systems, then please get in touch.